Monday, July 27, 2009
Cheesy Mexican Eggplant
I had several eggplants from our CSA that I needed to use, so I made this recipe tonight. It was super easy AND David and I both liked it!
2 eggplants (2 1/2 lb), cut in 1/2-in. thick rounds
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 cups marinara sauce
1 bottle (8 oz) taco sauce
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 pkg (8 oz) shredded Mexican-blend cheese (2 cups)
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 1/2 cups white rice
1. You’ll need a broiler pan with rack and a shallow 3-qt baking dish. Heat broiler.
2. Place half the eggplant on broiler rack, evenly coat with nonstick spray, then sprinkle with half the pepper. Broil 4 in. from heat 4 to 8 minutes per side until lightly browned and tender. Repeat with remaining eggplant and pepper.
3. Heat oven to 350°F. In medium bowl, stir marinara and taco sauce with cumin.
4. Spread 1/2 cup sauce in baking dish. Line with half the eggplant. Spoon on 1 1/4 cups sauce; top with 1 cup cheese and 1/4 cup cilantro. Repeat layering with remaining eggplant, sauce and cheese; cover with foil.
5. Bake 40 minutes or until bubbly. Meanwhile, make rice as package directs. Let eggplant rest 10 minutes. Sprinkle top with remaining cilantro. Serve with rice.
Recipe and picture from Woman's Day.