Friday, May 15, 2009

Summer Food


In the summer, I find myself being more creative with my cooking. We belong to a CSA (community supported agriculture) and enjoy the benefits of locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables so I have to figure out what to do with my 1/4 bushel every week. One of my favorite meals this week was turkey burgers with sweet potato fries and roasted kohlrabi and radishes. We also have enjoyed a variety of lettuces, which surprisingly Asher has eaten. With strawberry season upon us, I came across an easy recipe for strawberry shortcake as seen in the picture above. Picture and recipe are from the Joy of Baking.

Sweet Potato Fries
-Peel and cut sweet potato into equal size sticks.
-Coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
-Spread evenly (and not touching) on a cookie sheet lined with foil.
-Roast for 20 minutes at 400 degrees, flipping over at 10 minutes. After 20 minutes, increase temp to 425 degrees, flipping every 5 minutes for a total of 10-20 minutes. Watch closely at end to prevent burning.

Roasted Kohlrabi and Radishes
-Peel kohlrabi and dice into cubes.
-Slice radishes evenly.
-Coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
-Roast in oven at 425 degrees for 25 minutes, turning occassionally.

1 comment:

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

gonna try the kohlrabi & radishes this week!