Saturday, November 6, 2010

hootenanny cakes


My friend, Emily, was having quite a birthday celebration for her daughter and husband today. So she was in need of some cakes (yes, plural) and asked me if I would make them. We had several ideas but finally came up with the perfect design for a "hootenanny." We wanted the design to capture that it was for both father and daughter. Of course, we had to start with a smash cake for the first birthday!



You can see in this last photo glimpses of all three cakes. We ended up with a strawberry smash cake for Sophie, a strawberry sheet cake and a two-tiered chocolate cake. That's a LOT of cake! I really enjoyed making these cakes. This was my first time to decorate with fondant to this extent. I dabbled with fondant on Jonas' birthday cake but not to this level. I plan to build on this fun, new found skill!

5 comments:

Kara Graves said...

SO CUTE!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sarah, they turned out so well! I love the owls you did. You surely have a gift!

Danielle said...

ADORABLE, Sarah! Love, love, love them!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those cakes look fantastic! You continue to amaze me.
Angie

little e said...

It was perfect and delicious! So many compliments! Get ready to get busy!!!!!!