Monday, November 8, 2010

independence

It's not always easy to let your kids grow up, but there is something special about seeing them growing into their own independence. Since we have been preschooling at home verses at a "school" I have been trying to find ways to incorporate learning in our every day routine. I have found two blogs here and here to be helpful in finding ideas. Asher has really been wanting to do things for himself or things to help me around the house. We started with him working on getting dressed by himself and have now moved on to other areas. Jonas, currently, wants to do everything that Asher does so we are trying to find ways to allow him to be independent as well.

Some of Asher's tasks include putting the silverware away, setting the table, washing his breakfast dishes (yes, we do have a dishwasher, but he loves to do this so why not let him...I am hoping his wife one day will thank me for these things!), helping with most baking tasks (stirring, measuring, dumping), sweeping and dusting. Of course, these are jobs that we do when we have PLENTY of time to complete! The boys especially enjoy pouring their own juice in the morning. I found a small glass pitcher and these two small mugs at a yard sale. They love it!




Encourage your toddler/preschooler to work along side of you and you will find that they thrive with this newfound independence and role in your home! Would love to hear any ways that you have your kids help around the house.

2 comments:

The Normans! said...

I'm super excited that you have been posting each day! I love hearing what you have to say.

We are working on this independence thing too! It's been difficult at times, especially since Elijah is so happy to be helped with many tasks. I need to sit on my hands sometimes! As far as other ways to work along side me, E likes to help sort clothes for the washing machine, sweep, and clean counters and mirrors.

Anonymous said...

We started a chore chart last month. I can't claim to be 100% consistent yet, but it has been going pretty well. Our "chores" are bringing breakfast dishes to the sink, making the bed, picking up the floor of the bedroom, brushing teeth by himself, saying his memory verse. All aren't chores in the true sense of the word, but they're things I would like to be incorporated into his daily psyche.

There has been quite a bit of whining, cajoling, reasons given for why he can't do it, ("I just don't have my energy level up...), and other such things, but all-in-all, I've been pleased.